Sunday, May 10, 2009

Another thing about Holden and phonies..

When Holden talks to his sister, about all of the phonies at his school, I was really happy to see him finally opening up to someone other than the completely unsupporting character, Sally. Phoebe asks him why he did it, wondering why he didn't try hard and just let himself fail. He replied with, "Oh, God, Phoebe, don't ask me. I'm sick of everybody asking me that. A million reasons why. It was the one of the worst schools I ever went to. It was full of phonies. And mean guys. You never saw so many mean guys in your life. For instance, if you were having a bull session in somebody's room, and somebody wanted to come in, nobody'd let tehm in if they were some dopey, pimply guy. Everybody was always locking their door when somebody wanted to come in. And they had this goddam secret fraternity that I was too yellow not to join. There was this one pimply, boring guy, Robert Ackley, that wanted to get in. He kept trying to join, and they wouldn't let him. Just because he was boring and pimply. I dont't even feel like talking about it. It was a stinking school. Take my word."

First off, I'm pretty sure that Holden felt like talking about his old school if he already spilled that much about it. He was botteling so many things like that up inside that he was truly just dying to tell someone what he thought of all of it. I think that the whole "Phony" thing is about people not acting like who they truly are. People who are just materialistic and only care about whats cool and what other people think of them. I can see why holden says this about these people but if it were me, I probably wouldn't take it so hard. Maybe since he is around it soo much and he just couldn't get away, thats why hes freeking out right now. But i really think that the reason for him exploding with emotion in this point in the book is because he is finally finding people who he can actually confide in. Weather they give him advice or support him or not, he can just let someone know how he feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment