Thursday, April 30, 2009

Reflecting on one important or insightful passage.

"I still had to get those damn theater tickets, so i bought a paper and looked up to see what shows were playing. On account of it was Sunday, there were only about three shows playing. So what I did was, I went over and bought two orchestra seats for I Know My Love, It was a benefit performance or something. I didn't much want to see it, but I knew old Sally, the queen of phonies, would start drooling all over the place when I told her I had tickets for that, because the Lunts were in it and all. She liked shows that are supposed to be very sophisticated and dry and all, with the Lunts and all. I don't. I don't like any shows very much, if you want to know the truth. They're not as bad as movies, but they're certainly nothing to rave about. In the first place, I hate actors. they never act like people. They just think they do. Some of the good ones do, in a very slight way, but now in a way that's fun to watch. And if any actor's really good, you can always tell he knows he's good, and that spoils it (Salinger- 116, 117)"

I think that it's weird that Holden would buy tickets to something that he absolutely dislikes. You'd think that maybe he would suggest going somewhere else like sitting at the park and talking because we notice his "hard-headedness" so much. But no, he buys the tickets for the show and he picks the one that he thinks that old Sally would like the most. It's sort of weird... but cute in a way. He cares about her, weather he will admit it or not. He goes on to say that that show is for people who are phony and they're phony because they like that sort of stuff but maybe, Holden only calls people phonies to keep a distance from people. I talked about this before, but Holden is so alone and it makes me wonder so much why he wouldn't just reach out to someone and be close with them. He is afraid that they will be taken away like Allie was but its been years and he needs to get over that.

Later on in the chapter, Holden repeatedly calls himself crazy because he was admitting his feelings for Sally. He is not crazy, he just likes her! He needs to realize that it's Okay to be close with someone and share your feelings. I am interested to read chapter the rest of chapter 17 and chapter 18 to see what happens between Holden and Sally.

2 comments:

  1. I used to think that Holden was scared to reach out to people because he was worried that he would lose them but now i think its the fact that everyone acts the same and he doesnt want to act that way and people just cant understand why he wants to be so different, I think Allie's death has made him think about all of this more and thats when he started to change, cause he saw the world wasnt as great as people make it seem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holden doesnt want to be looked at as following the same path of other people and he wants to do his own thing. I also agree with Dzeneta because i also thought he was scared to reach out to people because he was scared of getting hurt but that all changed recently.

    ReplyDelete