Thursday, April 30, 2009

Who is Holden Caulfield?

Holden Caulfield REALLY confuses me. Sometimes I see the lonely side of him and it makes me sad that he doesn't really have anyone to confide in. Other times.... I see the jerk side in Holden that sort of turns me off of his character. I just think that Holden would be a lot better off if he stopped judging people. His method of meeting people and relationships with others starts with judging and then he gets to know what type of person they are, by their words and actions to him. I think that the studying on the book that I have been doing has really helped me to realize that Holden is not just some self absorbed jerk that mopes around and feels sorry for himself. He is really trying and that is what makes me like him. I can relate to him on some of his difficulties in life but i just don't really deal with it the way that Holden would. I think that he is just trying to figure out who he is and what hes all about. He needs to make some true friends to help him along the way because the people that you surround yourself with and do things with are a reflection of who you are as a person. Once Holden finds a true friend to help guide him, he will find out who he truly is. The hard thing is that to find a true friend, he will probably need to stop judging the book by its cover. :)

2 comments:

  1. I agree!! He is very confusing. And I do agree that he is judging people before getting to know them and maybe that is why he has no true friends. But I also think that after talking to the nuns he realized that his first impressions had changed and maybe now he will begin to not judge so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was a good post! i like it :D

    especially when you say that you like him because at least he's trying, i agree with that; thats why i didn't really like death of a salesman because willy didn't really try or anything...

    well yeah anyways way to go :D being all deep and stuff :) school is out in 10 minutes and i'm very excited :) happy summerrr!!

    p.s. this is me not being segregated :D

    ReplyDelete